Feature: BookExpo/BookCon 2017 Event Recap & Giveaway!
Feature: BookExpo/BookCon 2017
Event Recap & Giveaway!
Attending BookExpo & BookCon is a completely different experience from year to year! This year the event was back in NYC at the Javits Convention Center. I had a blast using Instagram stories to keep you all in the moment with me, Even though you might have missed this event you can follow me on Instagram for future event coverage (and a lot of book mail hauls)!
So if you would like to know more about out my personal experience keep on reading. Be sure to leave a comment for a chance to win some swag & an ARC from my giveaway pile!
I was thrilled to be invited to the NOVL Brunch at the Hachette offices. It was an amazing event, centered around Ryan Graudin’s upcoming title, Invictus, releasing on September 26th. This book sounds so perfect! Ryan described it as a group of time-traveling thieves, a la Dr. Who meets Firefly! I am so here for this!
We also got to hear from the editors of a bunch of the upcoming fall titles. Did you know that Elly Blake’s 2nd book in the Frostblood saga is on an 9 month publishing cycle? So Fireblood is due to release on September 12th! I love this shortened publishing cycle, with the ever increasing tendency to binge everything these days, I think this is a really awesome move!
This year there was no half day show floor for BookExpo, which really disappointed me. I loved the half day in 2016. If I had known and understood the schedule better, I would have attended BlogBound. Instead I picked up my registration, and met up with one of the bookseller friends I met last year! Hi Ellie!
My group & I decided to walk across the city and head to Union Square to visit Books of Wonder, The Strand, Forbidden Planet, and the massive Barnes and Noble. I haven’t been to any of these stores before so it was amazing! I shelved my anxiety, unlike past years, and said “Hi” to a group that I recognized from twitter. Shelly (@Shellyrambles on twitter), whom I have been following for years, and she always has the best LGBTQIA+ book recs. Mish (@chasingfaes) & Joey (@afterthoughtAn) were also there and at brunch, and I saw them around for the rest of the event! So great seeing you all!
I also did what I tend to do in bookstores and talk to random strangers about books they may be looking at, and since I haven’t stopped talking about Ashley Poston’s Geekerella since I read it, when I saw someone with it in their hands and I was like “I love that book!” and it turned out to be Chelsea Fought from PYR! At least she knows what kind of blogger I am, a bigmouthed one who rec’s books to strangers!
Started off by waking up ridiculously early (4:57 am!) but we were able to get all the signing tickets for the authors we wanted and one of them ran out right after me!
- Maggie Stiefvater’s upcoming All the Crooked Saints! This was a hot commodity but duh it’s Maggie! Plus like usual David Levithan was with her & I love him too!
- Cora Carmack’s Roar! I will be giving away my preorder on twitter now that I have a signed FINISHED COPY!
- And Leigh Bardugo! Yes, I waited in like for a signed sampler of Language of Thorns. 1. It is LEIGH BARDUGO! 2. I have the biggest crush on her! 3. The sampler is gorgeous and really well produced. Embossed cover, color printed graphics and text – definitely worth it! I can only imagine how gorgeous the hardcover will be, releasing on September 26th! 4. I will always wait for Leigh, except if it was at BookCon for Wonder Woman: Warbringer (hahaha those lines were absolutely crazy and I luckily already grabbed it at YallWest!)
- I also was able to get in some non-ticketed lines or in-booth signings for: Beserker by Emmy Laybourne; Kristin Cashore’s Jane, Unlimited; Tillie Walden’s memior graphic novel, Spinning; and last but not least, Lauren Oliver’s Ringer (Replica #2) – which she signed on both title pages – so fun!
Thursday ended with a nice haul (since I was staying in a small apartment with 6 others, I never took daily haul pics). I ended the night attending the Big Honcho Media Stay Golden Party and hung out with the amazing bloggers Brittany, from bbookrambles, and Heidi, from YA Bibliophile, as well as Chelsea from Penguin! So thankful for them hanging out with me, as I waited for Karen from Hypable!
Since I didn’t get home until 1am, waking up at 5am AGAIN, was just too much, I was sassy today. I was over this early morning bullshit…but yay, BOOKEXPO!
- Marieke Nijkamp signing Before I Let Go!! I can’t tell you how excited I was! AHHH! Really cool!
- If There’s No Tomorrow by Jennifer L. Armentrout; the line was crazy long so happy to get one of these!
- I was lucky enough to meet Kerri Maniscalco and snagging a Hunting Prince Dracula ARC! I hadn’t ever met Kerri so I was all smiles. My natural defense is just smiling and turning red.
- Another highly anticipated book was Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore! I also got to chat with her more later that night!
- I honestly love the signings, and another I was lucky to wait for was a Forest of a Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao, she admitted later that this was her first public signing as an author! How exciting!
- And I ended the day getting NPH’s signature! Yes, THE Neil Patrick Harris was there signing his new middle grade book, The Magic Misfits!
That night was rounded out perfectly with Happy Hour MCPG Publicity! I can’t even tell you how exciting this was! Hanging out with so many great bloggers, publishers, and authors!
BookCon Saturday & Sunday:
BookCon was really, really crowded but so damn fun! It is a lot of line waiting but I was so lucky to get to see Laini Taylor, Rainbow Rowell, and Stephanie Garber on Saturday. On Sunday I was able to see Marie Lu and Scott Westerfeld!
One of my number 1 goals for BookCon was to try and meet Rainbow Rowell, and since her presale for the autographing line sold out too fast, my 2nd chance was to get to the MacMillian booth and wait for a ticket. Another failure, so I resigned to not meeting my Con goals. Oh well, time to try for some special ARCs and signature line waiting.
While waiting in Laini Taylor’s autographine line, I strike up a conversation. I was truly curious if this 12 year old had read Laini’s books because they can be a little deep for me. She’s read & loved them! We talk about the rest of their plans, and I mention mine and how I missed tickets for Rainbow. They just happened to have a ticket and decided they wanted to go to a panel together at that time instead! The kindness of strangers will never cease to amaze me. They made my day! We also talked ACoTaR series, because her mother is just starting them and her daughter already finished! Awkward! Also major thanks to more line waiters this time in Rainbow’s line, a father gave me his Carry On poster they handed out in the panel earlier! So amazing!
Having the signing tickets secured ahead of time took a lot of the pressure off in the morning. I was able to just walk around and enjoy the setup. Got to say hi to Ashley Poston as she walked around! I also ran into CB Lee and was so excited that to get her books signed! Thank you so much for leaving your friends and taking a few minutes to sign for me! So kind!
One of my favorite giveaways last year was the First in Line event, and this year they rebranded into Underlined and the swag was on point! A beautiful zipper tote, beach towel, a small zipper pouch, and of course some arcs!
I am so glad I was able to visit OwlCrate during BookExpo days and get to say hello to all the wonderful people there, since the line was insane during BookCon, I love them all so much, sweet, sweet group. I love seeing them at all the festivals!
Another huge thanks to the amazing breakfast hosted by Penguin Young Readers Highlighting the Game-Changers! How fun it was to listen to authors pitch their books to bloggers, it really felt backwards! But my table of fellow bloggers asked such great questions and had so many amazing thoughts and ideas!
Leave a comment! I will pick one person (US Only – sorry), for a random swag pack & a book or ARC of choice from my giveaway pile! Open until the 19th!